Black Hat Hands-On Hardware Hacking and Reverse Engineering Techniques 2012
OverviewThis course is the first of its kind. We focus entirely on hardware hacking and techniques to defeat the security of hardware products. It's hands-on. Not only do we, as hackers, explore reverse engineering and hardware hacking processes through step-by-step experiments, we also look at defense mechanisms and technologies that we, as designers, can use to protect our products from attackers.
We'll guide you through an introduction to embedded security, explore the basic electronics fundamentals and common test equipment, and then dive into tips and techniques of successful circuit modifications and hardware hacking. The course culminates with an all-out assault by the students to break the security of a custom-designed circuit board.
A more detailed course outline may be found at the Grand Idea Studio website.
- Familiarity with basic electronic components and theories
- General use of test measurement equipment
- Understand the mindset of a hardware hacker and why he does what he does
- Gain a knowledge of how to successfully reverse engineer products
- Learn about embedded security, ways to design hardware securely, and ways to defeat those mechanisms
- Become confident that you can open a piece of hardware without breaking it (and maybe how to fix it if you do!)