VMware VMware Jobs

16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ping26

ping26

• Leecher
  • 9 posts
  • 251 thanks

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:56 PM

Well this is not a shout to every one for a Party but wondered if any of you can share experiences on how did they land a job as a VMware Admins or Consultant and what does it takes to get into the field.
I have been working in IT since 2006 and mainly in the Desktop Support side and always wanted to get and move a step up.

I've done my MCSA and paid for my VCP byt still find it hard to get a job as a VMware Admin. I do have a good LAB and invested heavily on it and most of the companies and head hunters are asking about the experience.

I would love to have any thaughts about this as maybe network with few for any tips.
Thanks

#2 OFFLINE   vCloud

vCloud

VMWARE MODERATOR

• Moderators
  • 13 posts
  • 321 thanks

Posted 01 October 2012 - 04:28 AM

Hi ping26....

As i can see that ur most of the experience is in the Desktop Support this is the bottleneck which is not letting u to get a job as VMware Admin.Try to grab some experience on server side...Can u tell us the location.....

#3 OFFLINE   ping26

ping26

• Leecher
  • 9 posts
  • 251 thanks

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

Hi ping26....

As i can see that ur most of the experience is in the Desktop Support this is the bottleneck which is not letting u to get a job as VMware Admin.Try to grab some experience on server side...Can u tell us the location.....

Well im really confident with regards to the VMware products and also few MS Applications (DNS,AD and others).
currently doing an EMC storage course.
I'm located in UK London to be exactly.

#4 OFFLINE   vCloud

vCloud

VMWARE MODERATOR

• Moderators
  • 13 posts
  • 321 thanks

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:17 AM

As ur in UK this might also be a pain area...Most of the jobs in ur area are outsourced to other countries.
Tell me one more thing are u getting calls for interview....

#5 OFFLINE   ping26

ping26

• Leecher
  • 9 posts
  • 251 thanks

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:22 AM

As ur in UK this might also be a pain area...Most of the jobs in ur area are outsourced to other countries.
Tell me one more thing are u getting calls for interview....

Ohh yes, they are selling it all to the out side world, everything is outsourced as you said,
Interviews? yes I did get some intrest in my CV and also few calls for interviews. I don't want to rush and jump off the ship as I have people who are depandant in me.

#6 OFFLINE   vCloud

vCloud

VMWARE MODERATOR

• Moderators
  • 13 posts
  • 321 thanks

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:29 AM

That means u have some time and u cam wait for the next job also.......

give me one or two days i will post lots of interview questions on VMware and Storage

Thanked by 1 Member:
ping26

#7 OFFLINE   ping26

ping26

• Leecher
  • 9 posts
  • 251 thanks

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

That means u have some time and u cam wait for the next job also.......

give me one or two days i will post lots of interview questions on VMware and Storage

Excellent and thanks for your replies.
there is one thing that I want to mention, Most Hirers are now looking for people who are loaded with several technologies. I;ve had someone who called me asking if I had experience in RedHat/ CentOS, Cisco, MS, VMware, Citrix, Junniper, Symantec/Vertas and so one and i donlt see one can be an expert in all these domains, one day they will move a step and ask you if you could do Plumbing, Elect and bla bla bla. they are killing it
  • alejandroantonio likes this

#8 OFFLINE   vCloud

vCloud

VMWARE MODERATOR

• Moderators
  • 13 posts
  • 321 thanks

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:54 PM

Hi Ping,

You hav to understand one thing in a cost cutting world u should know most of the things realted to a Datacenter, otherwise u will not survive....You should now the basics of everything...

Remember one thing

Master of ALL Jack of None.........
  • NILAVAN likes this

#9 OFFLINE   ping26

ping26

• Leecher
  • 9 posts
  • 251 thanks

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:43 AM

Master of ALL Jack of None......... this has a wise meaning,.
thanks

#10 OFFLINE   ac427

ac427

• Users
  • 9 posts
  • 1 thanks

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

Once you have the VCP job then want EMC ot NetApp experience too. It's never ending. How much did the EMC course cost?

#11 OFFLINE   alejandroantonio

alejandroantonio

VMware-Citrix Master

• Users
  • 16 posts
  • 15 thanks

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

Hi ping26, certifications are good but employer are seeking experience which you can get even alone,building a home lab, and try to have deep dive in it.There is a lot to know about vmware,i am not speaking about installation procedure, you can also try to gain knowledge of VMWare Data Protection,vShield,vCloud .....
And as i read it above, it s never ending,because you might sometime have to handle storage issues, from EMC,NetApp,Dell EqualLogic .......
Finally,you should also see in citrix side,the 6th version of xenserver is really nice,a lot of clients are using xendesktop as VDI solution coupled with xenapp for app streaming ....
Cheers

#12 OFFLINE   kumartarun

kumartarun

• Users
  • 1 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:12 PM

Hi. I am working as VMware Consultant in India with a MNC. I worked for Dell, CSC & HP in virtualization. In India if you have sound knowledge then you can get a good job. As far as UK is conerned, I got few calls but want to stay with my family in India only. You can search JobDB Dot Com, might you will get a good VMware admin job within UK itself.

#13 OFFLINE   Bohica

Bohica

• Users
  • 4 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:01 AM

I disagree with the comment about it hard in the UK because of outsourcing. I think that the OP is finding it hard because he doesn't have the right background, not because he is in the UK.

Its a natural progression to go from Server support (Unix\Linux\Wintel) into virtualisation because for the most part virtualisation is about the consolidation of servers rather than workstations (I did say for the most part, obviously there is VDI but thats still not main stream enough). A good virtualisation engineer will have plenty of experience with Server technologies and its becoming more important to also have a decent understanding of not just storage but also networking.

Todays virtualisation engineer is expected not to be just a virtualisation engineer but actually a converged engineer (a knowledge of the entire stack).

My advice for people wanting to get into a virtualisation role is to make sure that they have a decent understanding of servers first and foremost, then some knowledge of storage and networking second because with the emergence of Cloud its becoming more of a requirement to be multiskilled than just a master of one area.

Thanked by 1 Member:
semmal

#14 OFFLINE   certkid

certkid

• Leecher
  • 6 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:21 AM

Nowadays jobs require multiple skill set especially for virtualization...sever+network+some dba skills+storage+cloud etc..

#15 OFFLINE   murkwerx

murkwerx

• Elite User
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:51 AM

Ok. Lets get down to brass tacks --- Use what you have. You only have desktop support experience but you have completed your VCP [or have you just sat for the course?]?

If this is the case, Pick up that VCP-DT [ View / Virtualized Desktop Infrastructure]. If the UK is anything like it was about 3 years ago, their will be nearly as many VDI postings as regular VMware Admin jobs, and recruiters find them more difficult to fill. So consider going that route for one.

Second, picking up the EMC stuff will be good for you. Storage knowledge will help you a great deal when you first getting started.

While you're at it, you'll definitely want to pickup up some networking skills as well.

-- Side note: Seriously, you'll want to consider going for the gusto and at least TRAINING for the CCIE: DataCenter exam. Maybe you'll sit for it, maybe you won't but exposing yourself to the material will help you really get what everyone else is saying [and they are right]. This will cover all of the basic areas that are essential to working in the datacenter in one fail swoop. The hiring managers want this level of knowledge for their datacenter people, even if it is a bit unrealistic to expect given some of the salary ranges I have seen for some VMware Admins. Skip over to systems engineer - and there's a nice pop, but now they want to see something like a VCAP and CCNP along with the EMC or HP StorageWorks credential.

So bottomline: Forget about being an "Admin". You need to become an engineer. So what does that mean:

VCP-DV [regular datacenter version everyone is familiar with]
CCNA [minimum, CCNP Datacenter if you have the time and nerve]
CCDA [Nice to have, but it will help you with getting a job trust me]
EMCISA
EMCCIS [Basic Cloud Infrastructure]
ITILv3
BCS Foundation Certificate for Business Analyst
Prince 2 [or in a pinch, Project+ -- but here you would just be filling up a check box. No one cares if this is on your resume, even if it is useful]
LeanIT
VCP-DT [Desktop Version focused on VMware View]
learn Python or Puppet & Powershell

With the exception of the VCP-DV, all of the others can be achieved through self study.

On top of all of this, you may still need to volunteer as a systems engineer or integrator for a larger charity just so you gain some documented work experience on the platform.

This will get you get you where you want to go.

BTW, do not underestimate the business oriented credentials [ITILv3, PRINCE2, LeanIT, etc]. You will be surprised how often that can make the difference. Having the technology knowledge is not enough. Experience and business acumen will carry you along way, so long as you're at least competent on the platforms.

Key to doing both: Find the things that allow you manage your time the best. That means learning scripting like the back of your hand; mastering the unification of GTD, Personal Kanban and the Pomodoro Technique; and learning how the other business units are affected by what you do in your job role. If you do that, you will eventually get an opportunity to shine.

#16 OFFLINE   NILAVAN

NILAVAN

• Power User
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • 4 thanks

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

If you want to be a virtualisation role. You should have following skils

Vmware - VCP ( vMa is good for addition )
Basic networking knowldge - CCNA ( Nexus 1000 addition )
Windows server 2008 - MCTS ( Powershell and DB addition )
Sotrage - HP or EMC ( more storage knowledge )
Basic linux CLI knowledge
ITIL V3

Willing to learn new if required :)

Thanks
Ka

#17 OFFLINE   mashebro

mashebro

• Users
  • 8 posts
  • 2 thanks

Posted 15 March 2014 - 05:24 AM

very interesting to read,